Holy Cross
Polish National Catholic Church



Home
Parish History
OR
UE
MS


 


About Church     

1896
     The Roman Catholic Church alienated Polish-Americans by not    
     recognizing their traditions and culture. In Scranton, Pennsylvania,
     Polish parishioners sought the right to choose their own priest and to
     control parish property. After being refused in 1896, parishioners
     blocked the priest’s entry to the church. A riot followed and several
     people were arrested.

1897
     The Scranton congregation organized their own parish and bought
     property for a new church. They chose as their priest Father Francis
     Hodur, a native Pole. In 1897, he led the first worship service in the
     unfinished St. Stanislaus Church.

1898
     Other oppressed Polish Catholic parishes in America joined the Scranton
     movement. In 1898, when the Pope refused to recognize their
     grievances, these parishes cut all ties with the Vatican.

1900-1923
     On Christmas Eve, 1900, Father Hodur celebrated the first mass in
     Polish, which helped unify the church. In 1907, he was consecrated
     bishop by the Union of Old Catholic Churches in Holland, thus
     confirming apostolic succession (authority to be a bishop, passed on in a
     direct line of descent from the Apostles). That same year, the
     Savonarola Theological Seminary was founded. The church adopted the
     “Confession of Faith” in 1913, and the “11 Great Principles” in 1923,
     which set down its beliefs and philosophy. They remain intact today.

     After World War I, the Polish National Catholic Church became widely
    accepted throughout the Northeast, in parts of the North central states
    and in Canada. Missions to the new Republic of Poland created 56 new
    parishes with 50,000 members there.

    Auxiliary church organizations began to flourish. The Savonarola
Theological Seminary was expanded. The Polish National Union of America (Spojnia), a fraternal Society, carried on many vital activities, such as establishing schools and publishing the Church newspaper “Straz”.

Today
The church today has 140 parishes in the U.S., Canada and Poland with 156 ordained clergy and over 25,000 members.


 
2311 Pulaski Street, Hamtramck, MI 48212
phone: (313) 365-5191 Rectory;  (313) 365-5070  Church Hall


***       Sunday, December 17, 2017       *       Third Sunday of Advent       *       9 a.m.     Holy Mass.       *       Sunday School at 10:30 a.m.       *      Coffee fellowship following 9 a.m. Holy Mass.      *       We will decorate our church for Christmas following 9 a.m. Holy Mass.       ***       All are Welcome !!!       ***        New members Welcome !!!       ***        Please, come and join us !!!       ***       ALL   ARE   WELCOME !!!       ***